Learn About Homeopathy
What is Homeopathy?
Homeopathy is a safe, gentle, and natural system of healing that works with your body to relieve symptoms, restore itself, and improve your overall health. It is extremely safe to use, even with very small children and pets, has none of the side effects of many traditional medications, is very affordable, is made from natural substances, and is FDA regulated.
It is used to treat acute illnesses, like colds, ear infections, migraines, and sore throats, as well as chronic conditions, like asthma, depression, autism, and arthritis.
Homeopathic medicines – known as “remedies” – are made from natural sources (e.g., plants, minerals), and are environmentally friendly and cruelty free. Most are available over the counter in grocery stores, drug stores, health food stores, homeopathic pharmacies, and online. They are also extremely affordable. Homeopathic remedies when used as directed, are completely safe for everyone – including pregnant and nursing women, infants, children, and adults. They are given in such small doses that they don’t cause side effects.
One thing to note is that the word homeopathy is not a general or “umbrella” term that describes a variety of different natural therapies. Although homeopathic remedies are derived from natural substances, homeopathy should not be confused with herbal medicine, Chinese medicine, or other types of natural medicines. It is its own, unique therapeutic system.
Anyone can learn to treat simple conditions safely at home using homeopathy, but a professional should treat serious or life-threatening conditions.
More About Homeopathy
Many people just getting started with homeopathy understandably have questions about what it is and how it works. The list below includes answers to some of the most common questions about homeopathy:
- How does homeopathy differ from conventional medicine?
- What is homeopathy’s history?
- What is “classical” homeopathy?
- What are combination remedies?
- Are homeopathic medicines regulated?
- Are homeopathic medicines safe?
- Can a pregnant woman, breastfeeding moms, or a newborn baby use homeopathy?
- Where can homeopathic medicines be purchased?
- Are homeopathic medicines expensive?
- When do I need to go to a professional homeopath?
- Who practices homeopathy?
- What kind of homeopathic training and certification is there?
- What happens during a homeopathic consultation and what does it cost?
- Will my health insurance cover it?
Homeopathy is based on a rule of nature called the Law of Similars. This law states that “like cures like,” or that a medicine can cure a sick person if it can cause a similar sickness in a healthy person. For instance, if you peel an onion, your eyes burn, itch and water. You might